In the light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we have received official Church of England guidance. As a result of this, here are steps that we as a church will be taking by way of sensible precautions:
- For the time being, no refreshments should be served in church – so no coffee or tea after the service. This will mean that Café Church in its present form will have to be suspended.
- We already receive Holy Communion in one kind (i.e. bread alone, without wine). It is now advised that people receive standing and avoid contact with the Communion rail.
- We will continue to suspend handshaking and other direct physical contact during the sharing of the Peace.
- Direct physical contact as part of a blessing or “laying on of hands” will also be suspended.
- The collection bags/plates should no longer be handed round. A collection plate will be placed in a prominent position. Our contactless card reader will also be available.
- At present there is no suggestion that services should be cancelled.
- The current practice of hand hygiene to be rigorously maintained and physical contact of all kinds should be avoided.
- We should be vigilant in keeping a close eye on those around us for signs of illness.
Further official guidance and advice for churches is available on the Church of England’s website.
Please keep an eye out for further information on coronavirus precautions on our News page, on the Coming Up and Services pages and on the printed pew sheets in church. If you have not already done so, you can sign up on the Front Page of our website to receive News items automatically.
Header image: SARS-CoV-2, the causative agent of COVID-19, courtesy CDC.